Providing competency-based, online, customized education and training for the workforce
The demand for a smart, safe, and sustainable workforce has never been greater, but our nation’s education and workforce development systems are not aligned with the needs of business and industry.
University College has a low-cost, easily implemented skill building program that will prepare your employees to learn the tasks of increasingly complex jobs. The program combines classroom experience with independent self-paced distance learning. Users have access to over 1,200 hours of online instruction ranging from preliterate to college level skills. The program is customized to meet the needs of each individual employee.
Which employees can benefit from the program?
Any employee whose job does not require an advanced post-secondary education degree will benefit from this program. The skills covered in this program are applied in all jobs from entry level to high skill jobs, from production technician to team leader to customer service representative to administrative assistant. The level of skill ranges from basic skills to high level skills.
Participants will develop skills in the following areas:
- Reading for Information (Understanding and interpreting complex reading materials, grasping complicated concepts, and drawing conclusions from difficult reading material)
- Applied Mathematics (Using fractions, formulas, ratios and solving problems involving multiple steps of logic and calculation)
- Locating Information (Reading charts, tables and graphs, identifying trends, interpreting data and drawing conclusions)
- Listening (Taking accurate notes from information transmitted verbally)
- Writing (Developing a professional writing style that is varied, smooth, with no mechanical, grammatical, or word usage errors)
- Observation (Learning how to focus attention on and remember important details from a complex set of events )
- Teamwork (Process planning, decision making, conflict resolution and leadership)
- Applied Technology (Analyzing and solving problems involving basic principles of physics)
The program has four components:
Orientation: Participants will be introduced to an online courseware program which they will use to strengthen their current level of foundational skill.
Skill Benchmarking and Skill Building: Participants work independently from any computer with internet access using the online courseware program to benchmark their current level of skill and begin working toward their own skill level targets.
E-Mentoring: Each participant will receive periodic e-mails from a “coach/mentor" to keep them on track and pressing toward their learning goals.
Certification/Validation: Participants will take the WorkKeys Skill Assessments to qualify for the Syracuse University Certificate of Workplace Competency based on the National Career Readiness Certificate (NCRC) and endorsed by the National Association of Manufacturers, the National Center for Energy Workforce Development, and the National Center for Construction Education and Research.
PROGRAM FEE: $200 per person